Carbol chromotrope for eosinophils
- Dewax sections, rinse in alcohol, rinse in water.
- Stain nuclei with Mayer's haematoxylin - 30 seconds.
- Blue in tap water - 5 minutes.
- Stain with carbol chromotrope solution - 30 minutes.
- Wash in water.
- Dehydrate, clear and mount.
Eosinophil granules - red.
Red blood cells - pale red.
Paneth cell granules - rust.
Enterochromaffin - weak brown.
Nuclei - blue.
Carbol chromotrope solution
Melt 1g of phenol in a flask by running hot water over the outside. Add 0.5g chromotrope 2R. Mix and dissolve the sludge in 100mls of distilled water. The solution keeps for up to two months.
NOTE: Canine eosinophils do not stain well with this method. Suitable alternatives would be the sirius red or congo red methods which are normally used to stain for amyloid.