Histological Staining Techniques
Prepare cytospin slide or smear of sample.
Stain air-dried smears in a closed coplin jar of Wright's stain - 5 minutes.
Place the slide on a rack, rinse and treat with pH7.2 buffer primed with
1ml Wright's stain per 400ml - 3 minutes.
Rinse in pH7.2 buffer - 20 seconds.
Blot dry, clear and mount.
Red blood cells - red to pink.
- Neutrophils - dark purple nuclei, pale pink cytoplasm, reddish-lilac
- Eosinophils - blue nuclei, pale pink cytoplasm, red to orange-red large
- Basophils - purple to dark blue nucleus, dark purple, almost black
- Lymphocytes - dark purple to deep bluish purple nuclei, sky blue cytoplasm
- Platelets - violet to purple granules
6.0g Wright's stain powder
0.6g Giemsa stain powder
Stir overnight and filter before use.
Return to index page